I bet you have a long list of subscribers, and you have heard about making the most of these lists using email marketing. But…have you? And most important… Do you know how to do your B2B email segmentation?
The truth is that most email marketing campaigns are not working as well as they should, and the basic solution to solve this problem is learning how to target and segment specific parts of your list.
But many email marketers find it difficult to get started because there are so many tools out there. Instead of reviewing the wide list of possibilities, here are three clear steps to segment your email list.
Step 1 – Identify email marketing segments for B2B email
There are the obvious segments that you probably already know, like email marketing activity and indexes of opening, geography and time zone and purchase history. But maybe there other segments that you haven’t considered yet that will greatly boost your open and click-through rates.
Here are 3 creative ways you can target your B2B email audience for more effective email marketing:
– Survey questions. Gathering information through a survey service rewards you doubly: first by analyzing the survey results and second by following the responses of the respondent as a marketIt saves the users who select the same answer for a question in a new list and has a massive sending referring to their selection.
– Click history. You can also collect information about your email subscribers based on the links they clicked on previous campaigns. If they clicked on one or two, be sure to offer them more of what they like! For the group that opened your email but did not click on any links, try to approach them in a different way that is out of the ordinary to hook them.
– Generational segmentation. Even more specific than age, segmenting according to the four main generations can give you much to move forward. The Generation of the Millennium, Generation X, Baby Boomers and the Generation of Silence, all have different styles of communication, interests, and preferences.
Step 2 – Create Your B2B Email Marketing Segments
After all the time you just spent researching and applying some of these examples it’s time to build that list! Create the category of segments you just found, and start filling them with the names of the customers or potential customers that fit there.
At the end, you will be surprised at the valuable B2B email information you now have in your hands, and you can allow your creativity to fly and make amazing messages and content for these segments.
Step 3 – Let’s brainstorm!
As far as B2B email content is concerned, there is no one size fits all. Now that you have identified and established your segments, it is time to adapt the categorization content of opportunities for each listing. However, unless you’re an experienced writer, you might get stuck looking for ways to do it:
– There are unknown needs that your potential customers haven’t discovered yet. An unknown need is a problem that a customer may not know he has, but you, based on your experience, know that soon will appear.
– Customized interests. Based on the information you get during the sales process, or monitoring your target and competition, write content that matches the interest of your segment. Is there a current issue in certain segments of your industry? Do many clients face the same problem? These are valid topics for emails.
B2B email marketing is a powerful tool that has been underestimated for a lot of time. By doing the right research, and finding the right information, you have everything you need to engage with your customers and to reach potential new customers.
Don’t hesitate to include this in your marketing strategy, make the most of this opportunity identifying the segments that you maybe didn’t consider before, and creating content that speaks directly to them.